Related Posts:

Weekly Update: Week 9

While I didn't create any writing pieces I did create a new theme for a website. It's a large undertaking and one I can't walk away from.


Launch Home # 3

After much deliberation, I finally settled on a new Homepage! Somehow I ended up even more minimalistic than ever before. But now there's interactions! Ah, so fancy, much new, great joy. And a new highlight to freelancing!


Invisible progress and learning

While I haven't finished the new homepage, I have been making progress with web development courses. I love the opportunity the internet can give for those us of with the desire to learn!


Weekly Update: Week 22

It’s been a busy few weeks. Though none of it has involved writing, it hasn’t been totally void of creativity. From mocking up a new website to designing a whole house, things are moving along.


Webflow Review #1

I'll admit my attention has been drawn away from writing and purely on web design. Now that I've finally bitten the bullet and gotten the domain and hosting services from Webflow, I feel a sense of ownership and duty to the site to make it perfect. And if I'm paying for the use of the website, might as well get my money's worth.

It was really a forced move by Webflows part. Being bit in the ass before from Wordpress and Weebly after working to set up blogs or portfolios before, I wasn't ready for a commitment that involved money. Though as a side note, I have recently started using a paid version of Wordpress for work and am pleasantly surprised at how far it has come. Either way, I've already invested this much time and effort into Webflow and probably can't afford all the work-Wordpress has paid for.

So back to Webflow. Why had I been forced into it? I ran out of content spots. I literally could not post another blog without paying for hosting services. So if I was really serious about continuing, I had to leave or pay up. Now the main reason I was attracted to Webflow was the content management system. On Weebly, I had 1 type of post, a blog post. Or a straight up page. On Webflow, I can make fiction pieces separate from blog pieces. Then I can group those fiction pieces by the storyline, or even story type as I have found was preferable. Not only that, but you can create the form that you fill out to add these content pieces. Such as, for my fiction storylines, I added a toggle switch to click on if completed. Then added a box on the storyline pages to say completed or incomplete depending on the toggle's position. The flexibility is amazing. You can also change what text shows up where or how things are ordered. When shifting my content over all the old stuff was labeled with the same date. And so that's how the theme I chose showed up. I was able to go in and add a new field in the blogs called "My Publication Date" and told the text to pull and sort from there instead.

It comes with "Blog Posts" and "Categories" preset. And a limit of 50 CMS items.
‍It comes with "Blog Posts" and "Categories" preset. And a limit of 50 CMS items.

The other main lure for me was the clean ability to edit the styles. If you've ever inspected a page, the style information at the bottom is similar to the layout of the editing, which I appreciate. Though it still has taken some time to learn. My general discovery is if things are 'easy to use' it usually means you can't edit shit. Such as the Weebly site. It was so easy to put boxes in places, but you couldn't change how those boxes interacted with each other based on margins or padding. Easy to throw a site up? Yes. Impossible to really edit? Yes.

However, I think I've hit my first snag. Everything appeared to be moving along perfectly till I tested the site on my Chrome today. The "fixed" background image, that appears fixed on the designer isn't actually fixed. Meaning, it scrolls and eventually runs out as it isn’t that long of an image. Somewhere in the code is a line telling it to override any background image and make it scroll. I can test if this is the case by turning that off in my inspector. This is totally fine, I can just find this in the code and delete the !important line that is covering up my background being fixed. Oh, wait... I have to pay extra to touch my own code.

I'm not even sure what .w-mod-touch * is doing...html

Webflow. Webflow. Webflow. We had been going so well together.

Till I'm willing to toss out the extra coin, I'm just stuck as is. Although, for whatever reason, Edge doesn't read or know of this code, and the background stays still. Sadly, no one uses Edge. 

The only irking part is that the background staying still was the basis for my plans in redesigning the site. Because, besides editing the header and name portion to remain fixed, I feel it still looks like the free template I got. And that bothers me. Though I've actually changed a lot of finer tuned things, you just can't tell...